Voted 2019 WWII Warbird Grand Champion!
This de Havilland Mosquito was originally constructed at Hatfield in 1945 and used for RAF training before moving on to New Zealand in 1948, where it was overhauled and delivered to 75 Squadron as NZ2384. In the early 1950s, the aircraft was acquired by new owners and registered as ZK-BCV before being transferred to the United States. There, the Mosquito was given civil registration N9909F and, from around 1955-66, was owned by the Insurance Finance Corp. of Studio City, CA. During this time it was believed that the machine was used by the CIA for intelligence gathering in South America. In 1970, PZ474 was abandoned and began a period of decline. It wasn’t saved until 2014, when it was acquired by Rod Lewis. Work on the airframe was completed by New Zealand-based Avspecs, Ltd, while the Rolls Royce Merlin engines were restored in America. The project cost $10 million and took 5 years to complete. Lewis Air Legends de Havilland Mosquito PZ474, is one of only four airworthy examples of the type in the world. Length 60:00.